Adapted from Cooking Light Crave!: Stacked, stuffed, cheesy, crunchy & chocolaty comfort foods“ – This recipe called for mushrooms which I left out. We also only used the provolone cheese and did not make the cheese sauce. The amount of soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce was increased.
1 – 12 oz. flank steak, trimmed 1 tsp. soy sauce
1/4 tsp. kosher salt 2 slices provolone cheese, sliced
1/4 tsp. ground pepper into thin strips
1 cup thinly sliced onion 4 (3 oz.) hoagie rolls, toasted
2 tsp. olive oil, divided
1-1/2 cups thinly sliced green bell pepper
2 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1. Cut flank steak into thin slices, across the grain. Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper.
2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add beef to pan; saute 2 minutes or until beef starts to brown. Remove beef from pan. Add 1 teaspoon oil to pan.
3. Add oil to pan. Add onion;saute 3 minutes. Add bell pepper and garlic; saute 6 minutes.
4. Return beef to pan; saute 1 minute or until thoroughly heated and vegetables are tender. Remove from heat and add Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce. Keep warm
5. Toast hoagie rolls in toaster oven or under broiler until lightly browned.
6. Divide beef mixture evenly among hoagie buns. (about 3 oz. of beef mixture per bun).
Place 1/4 of the cheese slices on top of beef mixture. Heat in microwave or under broiler until melted.
7. Serving size – 1 sandwich.